Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Anjanette is born

By request, this is what I remember about Anjanette being born:

February is cold in Montpelier, Idaho. February is also the month of the Blue and Gold Cub Scout dinner. The night Anjanette was born it was both cold and the night of the dinner.

There is a long tradition at the Montpelier Blue and Gold dinner, which probably plays out across Cub Scout dinners across the country. Boys and their mothers slave over baking the perfect cake, whether it be adorned with all things chocolate or baked in the shape of the Millenium Falcon. The single goal is to have the most impressive cake as recognized by your fellow cub scouts. The scouts admire the cake, individually decide on whose is the most awesome, and then cry if their parents get outbid on their own cake.

As much as it pains the parents of two cub scouts to buy back two cakes (at a relatively high price if they are as awesome as ours were), it is even more painful for the brother whose cake was not bought.

On just such a night in February of 1983, my mother attended the Blue and Gold dinner, 9 months pregnant. She went home, went into labor sometime that night, and went to the hospital where Anjanette was delivered.

The two of them ended up in a wing with a window, and while my father did not take us in to the room, he did help us climb the snow drift outside their room (I told you it was cold) so that we could have a peek at our new baby sister.

I don't remember, but I suppose we may have gone home and celebrated with a slice of cake.

Other memories of Anjanette:
- Anjanette gets poop in her eye
- Anjanette answers the phone
- Anjanette gets baptized

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger From the Farm said...

Actually, I was in labor all day while we did cakes, enchiladas and made sure the pinewood derby cars were up and running. I had called Linda a few hours before to see if she could be sure our Cubs got there should I have to leave.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Anjanette said...

Poop? In my eye? Gross!

ps. I love the story. Funny how some things about me I don't know.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home