Monday, March 26, 2007

That one random kid in the picture

In my parents home, there are lots of pictures hanging on the walls.  There is a "these are our ancestors" wall, a "Eagle Scout commeratives" wall, a "wedding pictures" wall, a "family pictures" wall, and a "random group pictures" wall.  This last wall is probably my favorite.  There are lots of big groups, and lots of people that I don't see as much as I'd like anymore.

If you look carefully, there's one picture of all the cousins with a little blonde boy.  This little blonde boy is smiling, sitting with the entire group.  It's obvious from his demeanor that he belongs in the picture.  I will personally guarantee you that no one else in the picture (all the cousins) will be able to tell you his name.

Our family loves to have big gatherings.  It's always been that way.  If I remember correctly, this gathering was at Downey park in Modesto.   This was probably the occasion of a birthday, but it needn't have been.  We may have been getting the whole family together just for the sake of getting together.  

On this particular day, I was in the beginning stages of my infatuation with the frisbee.  You'll see in the picture that the orange disc is appropriately fixed in my hand.  It was because of this disc that a particular stanger, a little blonde boy, wanted to join in our activities.  As we were tossing the disc, I could tell that this young boy wanted to play.  At first, I was reluctant, but then realized that it would be important to him.  I asked if he wanted to play, and he quickly joined in.

I don't remember if he had family nearby.  I don't remember if he came over to eat when we had dinner (and probably cake afterward).  I do remember that when it was time to document the proceedings of the day with a photograph, that he plopped himself down because it was the only sensible thing to do.  Some of the adults questioned his presense, but I insisted that it wouldn't hurt anyone, and he was happy to participate.

I'm sure I knew his name on that day, but I can't tell you now, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that none of the other cousins can, either.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Anjanette said...

I remember that boy...he seemed to throw the disc better than I did. I remember exactly what he looked like, but probably only because I've looked at the picture hundreds of times. ...and about the name thing, maybe it's not that we don't remember his name...maybe he really didn't have one.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home