Monday, April 02, 2007

Going to the Bean Museum in Style

Here's an interesting story from Oregon today:

It reminds me of the time at BYU that we arranged a tour of the Bean Science Museum for a FHE night. We came up short on seat belts, so I volunteered to ride in the trunk. I joked with them that they shouldn't forget about me.

When we got to the Bean Museum, I heard them all get out of the car and walk away. I knew they were joking around, so instead of screaming like a raving idiot, I decided to let them have their fun, and I didn't say anything.

After a few minutes, I realized they must have really forgotten. It was a pretty roomy trunk, and I knew I had plenty of air to last a while as long as I didn't get excited. I was able to pry open a small crack in the rubber seal to give me a bit more air. I felt the backside of the rear seat cushion. It was rather low quality, and I assumed I could open up an air hole rather quickly if the time came. I wasn't worried.

I heard people walk by (we were parked next to the sidewalk), but I let them by. I didn't have a watch, so I tried to estimate how much time was going by so I could set a reasonable limit for when I should start calling out to strangers as they walked by. I figured my group would be in the museum for an hour, and I could wait that long if I had to. Anything more than that, and I guessed I should take some form of action to get myself out.

After about a half hour, one of my roommates looked around and asked the others where I had gone. They thought back, and realized that no one could remember seeing me with the group that whole night. They put two and two together, and came running outside to open the trunk. They were very worried about me. I wanted to know how much time had passed, but I don't remember how far off my time estimate was.

I went into the Bean Museum, but I had missed the cool parts of the tour. We still had a good time. When the night was over, I rode in the trunk on the way home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home