Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Time I Almost Killed Aaron and Myself

This is not an April Fool's Joke.

There was a time period when Aaron had a thing for Tara Perrett. They've moved now, but back in the day, they lived on a few thousand acres of land out on the other side of Patterson. Occasionally, Aaron wanted to go out for a visit, and on this particular incident, I got to play chaperone, and give him a ride.

Once you get to the Perrett's driveway, you still have a few good miles to drive - all on dirt road. Most of it's flat, and you can speed along pretty well. Occasionally, there are some hills, and you need to be careful of the ravine that the road skirts along.

On our way back, I was hurrying back down the road as quick as the Suburban would allow. I fancied myself a good driver, and I was going much faster than I should. I wasn't at all concerned with oncoming traffic, as you could see the dust of any approaching cars for miles ahead. I was very much enjoying the independence of driving privileges (like when I hit 100+ mph in the GrandAm on our way to EFY somewhere in Nevada). I don't think I was really in a hurry, although I may have been. Mostly, I just like to drive fast.

I took a few turns too fast, and would quickly correct, spitting gravel in the air, slowing for a moment and then continuing on as before. I hit a long straight stretch, and found the gas pedal. At the end of that stretch was a sharp turn. I took it way too fast and hit the breaks hard. The wheels locked up and sent the Suburban careening this way and that as I over-corrected two or three times trying to stay on the road.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we came to a stop. A bit in shock, I unbuckled and stepped out. There, only a foot or two from my front tire was the edge of a ravine that went 100+ feet straight down.

Another two feet and Aaron and I would be memories on a wall.

I drove much slower the entire rest of the way home.

I don't think we ever told Mom and Dad.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home