Saturday, January 27, 2007

Austin (first power windows)

One of our next door neighbors in Phoenix was a boy Aaron's age. His name was Austin. My memories of Austin are vague. I remember he had a visitor once - I think it was his grandfather, but I'm not sure. Whoever the visitor was, Austin showed us the most amazing thing - you could press buttons on the sides of the doors, and the windows would go up and down. We weren't allowed much time to play with them, but I guarantee, it would have entertained us all day long.

I remember that Austin's mother smoked. I think there was an embarrassing story about me telling her that smoking wasn't good for her. Maybe that was when Grandma Serpa visited, and I just associated it with Austin for some reason. I don't remember.

I don't really have many narrative memories from Phoenix, so I'll give you some trivial ones:

- Deborah attended first grade in Phoenix. Her mascot: the Dust Devils;
There was an older girl in the ward that was not quite totally deaf. I saw the pumpkin she carved for Halloween. She would turn the sound on the TV all the way up so she could hear. - - This would annoy her mother.
- Deborah wore nose plugs when she went swimming at a pool somewhere.
- Lots of people didn't have lawns, just rocks in their yard.
- I think we got Embra in Phoenix, but I'm not sure.
- We had a carport. I could run out of the house and run around the far wall of the carport to hide from Mom. This almost worked once.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home